COVID Safety Information
September 10, 2021
Dear YMCA Member & Participant,
As we reopen more and more programs in person, the health and safety of our staff, volunteers and participants continues to be our number one priority.
Our goal is to safely serve communities in program settings that meet and in some cases exceed public-health requirements for infection, prevention and control. We have made adjustments to our protocols along the way, based on shifting conditions and evolving guidance from governments and public-health authorities.
The concerning rise in the number of COVID-19 cases due to the delta variant threatens the progress we have all made in responding to the pandemic. As we consider the vulnerable communities we serve and the presence of children in our centres – many of whom are too young to be vaccinated – we must do everything we can to ensure their health and safety.
As per Government of Ontario recommendations, as of September 22, 2021, all YMCA members, participants and other visitors to our centres (including Employment Services clients in Peterborough), will be required to be fully vaccinated (two doses plus 14 days) and provide their proof of vaccination along with photo ID to access. The YMCA will comply with its human rights obligations and accommodate individuals who are legally entitled to accommodation. Examples of visitors include contractors, people touring our centres, groups using our community spaces, etc.
Please see our FAQ document on our website for more information regarding providing proof of vaccination, accommodations, rationale, etc. As we work toward the September 22, 2021 deadline, all of our current health and safety protocols remain in place. Click here to view FAQs.
We appreciate your continued support as we adapt our practices to help reduce the spread of COVID-19. Thank you for doing your part to protect one another and our most vulnerable participants.
In keeping with our commitment to the health and safety of everyone who visits our YMCA, we are also implementing a Mandatory Vaccine Policy for all Staff and Volunteers.
If you have any questions, please contact your facility General Manager.
All persons entering the facility 12 and up will require double vaccination. This includes parents dropping off children signing in and out.
Mask Use Requirement
- Mask policy while inside our health & fitness centres:
- When indoors, all members, volunteers and staff must wear a mask (that covers/fits their chin, nose, and mouth) in our Health & Fitness centres at all times, except while actively exercising. Masks must be worn in change rooms and on the pool deck, but may be removed while showering and swimming.
- Mask policy while participating in outdoor activities:
- When outdoors, members must wear a mask (that covers/fits their chin, nose, and mouth) when they are being screened, gathering their equipment, setting up, disinfecting their equipment, moving throughout the outdoor space, etc.
- Members may remove their mask once in their designated space while they are exercising.
- We ask that all staff, volunteers, and members wear a mask that satisfies the criteria below:
- Masks should fit securely to the head with either ties or ear loops
- Masks should be made of at least two layers of tightly woven material (such as cotton or linen). It is recommended that masks have two layers plus a filtration layer in the middle.
- Masks should be large enough to completely and comfortably cover the nose and mouth without gaping.
- Masks with ventilators/exhalation valves will not be permitted; these masks do not protect others from COVID-19 or limit the spread of the virus.
* We are reviewing provincial guidelines as well as local health region recommendations and will update these guidelines in the future if we feel it safe to do so.